Sunday 8 December 2019

Beta


Beta


So we are nearly finished with our game development project. This project has been such a learning experience for me. I feel like working on this game has made me so much better at game development. I ran in to so many different problems with this project but I feel like this is what will make you a good game developer in the future. It is eye opening seeing how you can set the bar so high when planning your game, and then having to strip things back to make it a bit easier. 

So basically what I done was restart my whole game. My other game wasn't very good at all and I felt like the only way to fix it was to start again. None of my script was working, my map was cluttered and confusing. My original game concept was a bit too ambitious so I decided to simplify things a bit. I decided that fighting animals, crafting weapons and eating and drinking were ideas that were way too ambitious for someone of my skill set.

My new game is just a simple little map with some scripting that lets the player collect an object found in the map. This was a lot less pressure on me because we covered similar things in the weekly Unity Tutorials. 


Image(s) Info:
Screenshots of my game in Unity Engine

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jordan!

    I understand why you have to change your game idea. Sometimes even simple ideas will seem too ambitious due to just how headache-inducing Unity can be. You made the right choice to change your game idea. But this late into the semester means that you have to work double hard to make enough progress to keep up with everyone.

    Honestly, keep focusing on getting things done in the game and things should come along fine. Make sure to only get to the important bits of the Weekly Unity tutorials so you can save up some time working on the codes and whatnot.

    Good luck on your project!

    -Zhen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there Jordan,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog on the beta of your own game on Unity. I was a bit like you as well as I had to simplify my game. In my original game idea, I found that I made it to hard to do because there was not the right assets on the Unity asset store. I think your game idea is very good though and as long as you can get the game to work then I think you will have a great game. Do you think you will have the game completed for the final date? I think you will get it done if you put the time and effort into it. I recommend watching youtube videos as they seem to have every tutorial on it and they also help a lot when your not able to do something on Unity.
    I wish you luck and cya soon.
    Aaron Hogan

    ReplyDelete

Unity Tutorial 06