Monday 11 November 2019

Prototype


Prototype

This week we start the development of our games. I feel like I am a bit behind because I do not have a clue where I am going to get the assets for my game. Hopefully I can work something out. 
I have started the prototyping for the level design and also the HUD and view of the camera. I started the prototyping on paper. I think paper prototyping is good because it is easy and quick to make, and it is also easy to change. The first thing I did was a draw up a paper prototype of the first person view of the character and also how the character would hold the weapon. I played around with different weapon grips and cursor styles. I also made a prototype of what the health, hunger and thirst bars will look like. 
Then, I moved on to the prototype of the map. I didn't focus as much on aesthetics mainly because I want to develop the scenery in the 3.D engine with more textures. This is because I am going for a more realistic feel if possible so the paper prototyping was mainly about mechanisms and layout. The map features things such as food, water, weapons and hazards such as poisonous berrys and dangerous animals. Also, there are tiny, hard-to-find notes around the map with confusing tips that are meant to confuse the player but they can guve helpful tips if they understand what they mean. 

The next part of my plan is to go into Unity engine and begin the level design. Once I have completed this I am going to develop the HUD and start coding for the item pickups and health, hunger and thirst bars. 

One major problem I am struggling with is trying to think of ideas that are actually possible for me to make. I do not have a clue about the difficulty of some of the ideas that I would like to add in so it is a bit stressful. 

I do not have a clue where we are supposed to locate our assets for the game and also I do not have a clue if we are supposed to be designing/modelling our own characters and animals etc. I need to get more information on this before I start developing some parts of my game. 

Image Information:
First photo is my paper prototype of the first person player view and also the HUD.
The second photo is my paper prototype of the level design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unity Tutorial 06